Wednesday 9 December 2015

My Favourite Face Masque for Acne | Peter Thomas Roth


I've suffered with acne and problematic skin for so long now, I almost can't remember what it's like to have a face free from blemishes and blackheads.


I have very oily skin, so it wasn't a shock when I started developing acne in secondary school. At that age it's very common, but for some reason I was one of the only girls who was suffering from it at the time. Makeup wasn't allowed at school either, so understandably I was very self-conscious about it. I remember using Bare Minerals powder foundation in hope that it would give me some coverage while avoiding getting into trouble for it!

When I started sixth form, my acne got so much worse and became very cystic. It has calmed down a lot now - possibly due to diet changes or my skincare routine. Maybe I'm just growing out of it! I always put a lot of time into my skincare to ensure I'm doing all I can to prevent my acne from getting worse. I've been on doxycycline antibiotics for about five years now (taking regular breaks from them), and recently I've switched to lymecycline. This seems to be working quite well, so hopefully I'll be able to stop the flare-ups (although the monthly hormonal ones I cannot avoid - they are such a pain!!!)

Earlier this year, I was browsing online for a face masque suitable for acne-prone skin. I've tried a few in the past by brands such as Liz Earle, but I was never really astonished by the results. I even tried one of those chocolate orange, self-heating masques in the sachet before... and that was possibly the worst decision I've ever made. My skin was so irritated, as was I. On beautybay.com I came across Peter Thomas Roth. My cousin had actually recommended this masque to me, so I was really excited to try it!


In a nutshell, the masque is designed for deep cleansing, which it pretty much does. It contains purified clay, sulfur and eucalyptus (it smells a tiny bit like vapour rub), to get rid of dead skin cells and draw out all of those nasty impurities. It's a relatively thick paste, but a little goes a long way. I use a thin layer and massage it in a little where my pores are large, otherwise it will just sit on top of them. I leave it on for about half an hour until it starts to crack all over the place, and rinse it off with warm water.

It definitely does dry out the skin a lot, but this is so good for people like me who are excessively oily. I always follow the treatment by using a thick-ish moisturiser to avoid flaky patches.


The only thing I don't like about it is the smell it leaves on your face for about a day after - but this soon fades after cleansing! I find my spots get worse too (for about three days), but I'm sure this is due to the impurities being drawn to the surface. Once that bit is over, my skin feels tighter, smooth and a LOT clearer. 

I'm totally in love with this, and I can't recommend it enough for people who suffer from oily/acne-prone skin. I sometimes use a dab on individual spots which works wonders.

It's currently sold out on beautybay and lookfantastic (sad times), but it is available on Amazon for only £21 - LINK

You can check out more from the Peter Thomas Roth range here. Most of these products are reduced on beautybay right now. I'm so tempted to try everything - the 24k gold masque looks AMAZING!

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment