Tuesday 5 January 2016

My Favourite Albums of 2015


Drake - If You're Reading This It's Too Late

 You can call me biased, I don't care! Most people who know me fear my unhealthy, obsessive reaction when the word 'Drake' is mentioned, so I guess this was expected to be my favourite album of the year. Seriously though, after being a huge fan for 7 years, Drake continues to amaze me and even though he has changed and developed his style as an artist, he still delivers such quality, while his charismatic personality shines through! Seeing as this is technically a mixtape, the standard is so high - even debuting at number 1 on the Billboard charts with over 15 million streams in the first week alone. Needless to say, this could have easily been an album. The standout tracks for me are:

Madonna
Star 67
Jungle
6pm in New York
Wednesday Night Interlude (I cannot even discuss this track because I become severely distressed)
10 Bands
Energy
Know Yourself  (I will never forget when he performed this at wireless - it was one of the best moments of my life... apart from when he called me 'babygirl', but that's a story for another day!)


However, as always, I love every single track and this is definitely my most played album of the year. Drake never releases a track that I don't like and for that reason, he's my fave! I can't wait for what 'Views from the Six' will bring to the table!



Bryson Tiller - Trapsoul


I came across Bryson Tiller's debut single 'Don't' on Soulection's radio show about a year ago. I love the new R&B/Hip-Hop sound that Soulection promote because it's so varied, and I've discovered some amazing artists via their Soundcloud. I instantly fell in love with 'Don't', mainly because it was unlike anything I'd heard before. I heard 'Let Em Know' later on in the year, and from that point on I was highly anticipating this album. Similarly to artists such as Drake and PARTYNEXTDOOR, Tiller comes under that whole grungy r&b/rap hybrid genre. It's almost hard to work out whether he's rapping or singing sometimes, but it's a captivating mixture!
The album is pretty much what it says on the tin - soulful trap. I'm not a huge fan of trap, but when those sounds are chopped, screwed and infiltrated with Tiller's vocals, it's just too good. The sound is consistent throughout the album, but delivers a combination of up-tempo tracks and ballads.

Let me tell you, when that bass drops, YOU FEEL IT!

Some of my favourite tracks on the album are:

Don't
Exchange
The Sequence
Rambo
Been That Way
Right My Wrongs

Bryson Tiller is definitely an artist to watch, and as soon as he announces UK tour dates, I am THERE!



Roy Woods - Exis


Roy Woods is another new artist I came across in 2015. I first heard a track featuring Drake called 'Drama' on the first OVO sound radio show, later discovering that he had been signed to the label. I get so excited when Drake signs new artists - it's like he knows EXACTLY the style of music I love. 'Drama' blew up pretty fast, and it was only on the next OVO radio show that I heard another track called 'Get You Good.' This song was on repeat.

 Woods released his debut EP, Exis, in July. It only consists of six tracks, but this EP became my soundtrack of the summer. I practically listened to nothing else during my holiday to Spain, and whenever I listen to it now, it takes me back.... I love it. Once again, this would come under the deep r&b/rap hybrid, with the distinctive OVO sound (those chimes and synths, not to mention those RIDICULOUS drum beats). His voice is seriously gritty too, which I can't get enough of!

I'm so eager for him to release some more magic this year! I shall be keeping my eyes peeled.



 Justin Bieber - Purpose (Deluxe)



Where do I start with Bugatti Biebs?! I've been a fan of him since those Youtube days, before he was even famous. I've grown up with him, and I love how his sound has developed throughout the years. Journals, which was released in 2013, was my favourite album of his to date. It was exactly what I was waiting to hear from him - soulful, r&b tracks that I knew he loved and suited. After hearing 'Where Are U Now' (even though I loved it), I didn't know what to expect from the new album. I'd read an interview where he mentioned that Purpose would be 'very poppy and uplifting' which worried me slightly, seeing as I'm not a huge fan of pop music AT ALL, and I was so certain that he would continue in the r&b direction.

Of course, 'What Do You Mean' was released, followed by 'Sorry'. Both tracks blew up and I absolutely loved them. I was so happy that he had made a comeback, converting the haters to beliebers after all this time. After waiting for what felt like forever, the album dropped.

I died.

Considering that I was expecting pop nonsense, I was so relieved to hear some r&b tracks on there - quite a lot in fact. There are obviously tracks such as Sorry, I'll Show you and Children that follow the upbeat, dance vibe featured in the first few singles. However, it's a combination of everything! My favourite tracks are:

Sorry
Company (this song gives me the chills)
No Sense feat. Travis Scott (my absolute fave - I was so eagerly awaiting this!)
We Are feat. Nas
Trust
All In It


No comments:

Post a Comment